Covid-19: Campaign of prevention in 2020 for the region of Tangafla
1. Project description
This project is composed of 3 parts. The first part assures a presence in the village for awareness and teaching sessions related to the nature of the infection by the virus Covid-19. Secondly it assures teaching of preventive measures such as proper hygiene of hands, social distance, and the use of a barrier mask and avoidance of unnecessary social contact. Thirdly it involves the directions as to locally preparing effective cloth barrier masks and use of eco-sanitaire faucets for hands washing in order to prevent the spread of the infection.
2. Presentation of the association SAREPTA Suisse
SAREPTA Suisse is a non-lucrative association exonerated from all taxes in Switzerland. It was created in December 18, 2015 and its mission is the promotion of rural health and development in Côte d’Ivoire.
3. Description of the context
The Pandemic, Covid-19
The pandemic, Covid-19, has created a health emergency that is world-wide. This infection, having been underestimated in a number of countries which felt « safe » from this new type of flu, has rapidly spread itself throughout the world. The present virus presents an unexpected danger, attacking the respiratory system and causing a lack of oxygen and destruction of the lungs. It is mostly observed in a population at risk (elderly or chronically ill), but also has been observed among young and normally healthy young people as well. The health emergency is rapidly shared and has resulted in half of the population of the planet being put in isolation.
In Côte d’Ivoire, a country in West Africa, on the 13th of April, 2020 more than 500 cases had been identified and 5 deaths of Covid-19 were confirmed principally in the city of Abidjan. The city was placed in isolation.
The village of Tangafla is located in the sous-prefecture, county, of Niofoin, Korhogo region, which is in the northern part of the country. This region is particularly close to Burkina Faso where around 500 cases and 27 deaths due to Covid-19 have been confirmed, but there are 8 areas of the country that are affected. This means that the spread of the infection in other regions, including the north of Cote d’Ivoire, in the next few weeks is very likely.
The northern region of Côte d’Ivoire, being poorly equipped with sanitary structures to handle the most severe cases, leaves prevention as our best option to combat the danger. It is probably our only weapon for that matter!
The local situation
The population of the region is composed of mostly of local Senoufo Tanga and amounts to around 17,000 people spread throughout some 18 villages. These are mostly young and illiterate farmers.
The area has several basic infrastructures; primary schools, 2 dispensaries, hydraulic water pumps in most villages, village markets and cultural centers for the youth, etc.).
Education on the realities of Covid-19
The opening of the SAREPTA Medical Center of Tangafla will permit the population to receive the much-needed primary health care. It will also allow:
- The reduction of the population travels to the bigger city, thus helping avoid the spread of the virus.
- The promotion of health in the rural zone due to the presence of health personnel to care locally for most of the health needs.
- Education on measures of primary prevention of Covid-19, and other health dangers.
- Rapid identification of suspected cases and their subsequent transfer to the adequate government facilities for diagnosis and treatment.
Promotion of hygiene of hands
We propose an educational session on the use of the eco-sanitary faucet, permitting frequent, simple and economical hand washing.
We would use local channels of communication that are frequent in the region ; the village chiefs and associations, the local markets and shops so as to help the message to reach the population and avoid the following social contacts:
- physical contacts (hand shaking and hugs)
- avoidance of unnecessary trips and groupage of people
Promotion of the barrier mask
Since general isolation, which can lead to a problematic economic and sanitary situation more difficult than the infection itself, we propose the general use of the barrier mask in public areas to prevent the infection of Coronavirus. This would necessitate teaching on the fabrication of the masks and the cloth which is reusable as well as the proper maintenance and wearing of said masks.
5. Action plan
- Opening of the Medical Center of Tangafla as of April 20, 2020, the nurse being available as of the end of March.
- Creation of a plan of local fabrication of the cloth barrier mask as well as instruction in the proper wearing and maintenance of these masks.
- Recruitment of a health promoter in order to spread the preventive messages and conduct the educational sessions in the various villages.
- Distribution of samples of the cloth barrier mask, patterns for their local fabrication, and eco-sanitary faucets to the various village chiefs.
- Weekly presence at the village market of Tangafla at a stand so as to explain and demonstrate the various preventive measures. (Proper hand washing using the eco-sanitaire system, the proper way to wear and maintain the barrier mask, distribution of patterns for the masks, etc.)
- Education on the measures of prevention in the various village shops.
|Salary of a health promoter for 2 months||200’000|
|Fabrication of 500 barrier masks||200’000|
|Printing of flyers on prevention and on the fabrication of the masks||360’000|
|Purchase of eco-sanitary faucets||280’000|
|Equipment of the market stand of prevention at the Tangafla market||157’000|
7. Monitoring and evolution of the project
The project is to be followed by the local representation of the association SAREPTA Suisse and the medical director.
The prevention of the spread of the epidemic is our best way of combatting the Covid-19 in Côte d’Ivoire. This is done through education of the populations as to this world-wide problem and the preventive measures necessary to avoid social contact, hand washing and the wearing of the barrier mask.
Together, let’s work NOW to prevent! Before it is too late…
Make a donation to support this campaign!
CCP Number: 14-926050-4
IBAN : CH40 0900 0000 1492 6050 4